Monday, January 11, 2010

Lifestyle Change 101

So, I've fully embraced my new healthier lifestyle and am actually finding it easier than I thought I would. I went to the gym three times last week and finding that I am almost loving it! I like how I feel after I've reached my goal for the day. The adrenaline that I feel still pumping through me when I'm showering afterward is so empowering. I know what all those athletic people are talking about now!

The meal plan isn't as bad as I was expecting either... it isn't quite as good as I was hoping though. I guess that is because it is lacking all the sugar and trans fats that I am used to. I'm not buying their food or anything like that. I'm following recipes and portions from a daily menu of normal food I buy at the grocery store that is specific to my likes and dislikes. It is teaching me what and how much I should be eating. I have room to enjoy eating out and to have the occasional treat, but hopefully I can have the control to watch my portions and go crazy with the treats. It is teaching me to read the nutritional charts and be aware of how many calories I'm eating.

I think the most surprising part of what I am doing is how much food they are wanting me to eat! It will be less as I lose body fat but right now they have me eating nearly 400 calories five times a day! I'm used to three bigger meals and a smaller snack or two. I'm having trouble finishing everything they are giving me. I guess it is to keep my metabolism going and keep me full between meals, but I'm sometimes still full at meal times! I guess that's what happens when you eat the proper food.

I've thought a bit more about my specific goal in this new endeavour. Jon and I are planning to take a vacation in October or November, assuming no major life events disrupt those plans. So, my goal is to lose 50 pounds by then. They say a healthy weight loss is done at about one to two pounds a week. I figure there is a little over forty weeks between now and our vacation. I also figure that my meal plan and excersise regime will be a little shot for the next few weeks since I am having my gallbladder removed on Wednesday and I won't be allowed to excersise as hard as I have been or eat properly. So, 50lbs in 40 weeks is doable right? My first weigh in is on the 28th... it will be every two weeks after that. I just thought with my surgery I would give it an extra week to get back to excersising before my first weigh in. I'll keep you posted!

6 comments:

LeAnna (and David) said...

all the food packaging over here breaks down what percentage of your daily calories what you're eating is.

I started reading food labels awhile ago, just give an idea of what exactly I'm putting into my body when it comes to junky treats.

Louise Chapman said...

Great realistic goals. When I was trying hard at weight loss, it was about .5-2 lbs per week so that sound just about right. Way to go!

Katie said...

you go girl! very inspiring! and best of luck on wednesday; we'll be thinking of you :)

Anonymous said...

Which meal plan is it?

Anna Mayo

Katie said...

I don't know what meal plan. I joined She's Fit. The plan is put together by a nutritionist based on my body fat %, my likes, dislikes, allergies, etc.. I think each plan is slightly different.

Anna M said...

That sounds really cool, I started online WW last week. It is going really well because a) I have done it before and b) I am breast feeding so I get way more points than I did the last time I did it. I spent an hour at the gym tonight for the first time and I feel like a million bucks :)