Saturday, March 6, 2010

Homestudy #1

We had our first meeting with our social worker, (aka, Rebecca - The Woman Who Decides If Livi Gets A Sister) on Tuesday. It went really well. She used to do what Jon does now at CLBC, so we had something in common. I think I really like her, although I am slightly intimidated by her power over my life. She seems really laid back and gives us lots of feed back. I'd been told some horror stories of SW's just asking questions blankly and writing your answers down, not participating in any conversation. I was scared this would be our experience.

We answered all the questions really honestly, of course, and I think we came across clearly. She seemed really impressed with our thoughtfulness and knowledge of parenting a child with special needs. She even wrote down, word for word, one of Jon's answers about our philosophy for living in community.

We have a ton of paper work to complete before our next meeting. I haven't really looked too much at it yet. I think I'm feeling a little over whelmed with it all. We'll get it done though.

We already had a brief second meeting to come to our home and check everything over. I don't think my house has ever been so clean. She even asked me if it is always this clean... I was honest :) I said it is usually this organized but not this clean. The horrible part of the meeting was near the end the fire alarm went off in our building! Seriously! Could it have happened at a worse time!? I wasn't worried because everytime we get work done on the building the alarm goes off. Did I react fast enough for her? Argh! Oh well. I don't have any control over the stupid alarm.

0 comments: