Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mother's Day - Late

Posts are few and far between these days! Too busy with life. This is my belated Mother's Day post...

I love being a mom. It is blessing. It is teaching. It is tiring. It is hilarious. It is self-less. It is heart-breaking.


Being a mom is hard. Being a mom to little children is really hard. Being a mom to a child with a developmental disability and behaviour challenges is really difficult some times.

Dinner!

Mother's Day celebrations were lovely but had its real life, hard moments too. On the Sunday, Jon made us lobster mac'n cheese for dinner, which was delicious! He even went out to get a live lobster. At church there was Starbucks coffee and Cobbs scones, plus I came home to clean floors and dishes! At preschool on the Friday, the kids had made me pictures of their moms. We had to guess which ones were our child's. Livi's was easy because it was the only one that had curly hair take up most of the page. They gave us a lotion hand massage, a slide show that told us their favourite thing to do with us. Livi's was cuddling with me on the couch and colouring (I don't generally colour with her but apparently I should start!) And Sofie's was Mommy tickles! So appropriate.



The hard part was Sofie's behaviour. Party days are difficult for Sofie. Her school routine is interrupted and all the parents come, so it is rather overstimulating for Sofie. She doesn't have the luxury then of getting time to transition in to participating like she normally would. We don't expect everyone to wait for her... so she generally whines, a lot! The parents are pretty normal about it and either smile or ignore it but I found it hard to take this time. It was an extended Party Day, that much worse for Sofie, and Livi deserved my attention too. I did the best I could but felt it wasn't good enough. I know these situations will happen and they will get better, but I found it really disheartening this year. Hoping next year goes smoother.


I did get to go on a big girl date for sushi and salmon sashimi with my big girl. Salmon Sashimi is our favorite :) It was really fun actually. I need to do special date like that with her more often!


I love being a mom... especially to these three girls. Sometimes it is lonely and I let myself go in to the part of myself where I feel uncertain. Then, I look at how awesome my girls are, giggling to each other and wanting me to join in, and I am fulfilled. 

0 comments: